The first manual exchange opened in Britain was The Glasgow Medical Telephone Exchange in early 1879, where an unlimited number of calls could be made for the annual fee of £12 a year. In July 1912 the General Post Office’s first automatic telephone exchange was opened, with a system capable of handling 1,500 lines. These new exchanges helped to pave the way for a telecommunications revolution. The job of an operator became a popular choice of career for women, but as the 20th century progressed, the gradual advance of automatic dialing exchanges led to the demise of the telephone operator. In 1975 the last manual exchange in England at Abingdon in Oxfordshire, ended its service, while one year later the very last manual exchange in the whole of the UK, at Portree on the Isle of Skye in Scotland, finished working.