Calder Hall - World's First Nuclear Power Station 60th Anniversary Thimble

£7.95
First connected to the grid on 27 August 1956, Calder Hall was the world’s first power station to use nuclear energy to generate electricity on an industrial scale. Part of the Sellafield nuclear fuel reprocessing and nuclear decommissioning site, it primarily produced weapons-grade plutonium, with two fuel loads per year; electricity production was a secondary purpose. The power station had four cooling towers, built in 1950-1956. The towers stood for 50 years, creating a landmark visible from the village of Seascale but were demolished by controlled explosions in September 2007.

Product Code: T127821

This item is temporarily out of stock but you may still order and our customer services team will get in touch to advise the expected delivery date
Exclusive Designs
High Quality, Thimbles & Accessories

Product Description

First connected to the grid on 27 August 1956, Calder Hall was the world’s first power station to use nuclear energy to generate electricity on an industrial scale. Part of the Sellafield nuclear fuel reprocessing and nuclear decommissioning site, it primarily produced weapons-grade plutonium, with two fuel loads per year; electricity production was a secondary purpose. The power station had four cooling towers, built in 1950-1956. The towers stood for 50 years, creating a landmark visible from the village of Seascale but were demolished by controlled explosions in September 2007.