The Women's Institute movement in Britain started in 1915. During the First
World War it was formed to encourage countrywomen to get involved in
growing and preserving food to help to increase the supply of food to the wartorn
nation. The first WI in Britain was formed under the auspices of the
Agricultural Organisation Society (AOS). AOS Secretary, John Nugent Harris,
appointed Canadian Madge Watt to set up WIs across the UK. The first one
was at Llanfair PG, on Anglesey, North Wales on September 16th 1915, and
the first WI in England was Singleton WI in Sussex.